GMT 6.2.0 pre-release

The GMT team has posted the first release candidate for 6.2.0 through GitHub releases. Try it out to see the exciting new features that will be included in 6.2.0, including a new common option for wrapping periodic data and a new module for returning statistics about binned data! See the full list of upcoming 6.2.0 features and improvements in the changelog.

Help us improve the pre-release by posting general comments in this thread, asking usage questions in the Forum Q&A, and submitting any bug reports through GitHub issues!

2 Likes

The second release candidate for 6.2.0 has been published through GitHub releases!

1 Like

Not sure if expected behaviour but installing gmt-6.2.0rc2-darwin-x86_64.dmg leads to a pop-up reading

“GMT-6.2.0rc2.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Checksum is correct and in the General pane of the Security & Privacy preferences Allow apps downloaded from it is set to App Store and identified developers.

As this behaviour isn’t described in the install instructions I thought I report it here.

macOS 11.3.1

Not sure what this means since the bundle installers get codesigned with UH Developers Apple credentials… Are you able to bypass and install anyway?

I suspect it is because we only codesigned and did not notarize as well (see https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_macos_software_before_distribution). Not sure if the notarization will be possible moving forward.

If people do not want to bypass the gatekeeper, it is always an option to install via conda instead (https://github.com/GenericMappingTools/gmt/blob/master/INSTALL.md#cross-platform-install-instructions). Perhaps for release candidates we should add instructions for installing via conda to INSTALL.md:
conda install -c conda-forge/label/dev gmt=6.2.0rc2.

I usually build from master so no problem for me. To get it to run you need to follow the steps below:

On the Security & Privacy preferences page is a “open anyway” option after the first executing of the GMT.app is blocked. I would consider this a discouraged workaround. The steps are

1. Try to execute GMT-6.2.0rc2.app
  2. Acknowledge the pop-up “GMT-6.2.0rc2.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. with “OK”
  3. Navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and klick “Open Anyway”
  4. Don’t get scared by the pop-up and click “Open”.
  5. GMT runs.

Screenshot of the “Open Anyway” option in System Preferences

Taken from Safely open apps on your Mac.

I agree with @maxrjones that this is due to missing notarization.