GMT 6.4.0 startup hang under Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

Fresh download, hangs during startup under Mac OS X 10.13.6 with following diagnostic:
Mm-i7-A:~ garth$ /bin/bash “/Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/MacOS/GMT-6.4.0” GMT_PROMPT
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/…/lib/libgmt.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gmt
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/Resources/bin/…/lib/libgmt.6.dylib: cannot load ‘libgmt.6.dylib’ (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
/Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/Resources/bin/…/lib/libgmt.6.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1
/Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/Resources/bin/…/lib/libgmt.6.dylib: cannot load ‘libgmt.6.dylib’ (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
/Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/Resources/bin/…/lib/libgmt.6.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1
/Applications/GMT-6.4.0.app/Contents/MacOS/GMT-6.4.0: line 22: 46056 Abort trap: 6 “${BUNDLE_RESOURCES}/bin/gmt” “$@”

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Ancient OS like high Sierra is not supported by the newer installer builds. Either upgrade OS or install an older GMT 6.x version, or build from source.

Could you provide any guidance as to either:

1. oldest Mac OS X version that is compatible with current GMT builds
  2. latest GMT that would run under OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

The former would be useful information in a “System Requirements” accompanying each release.

The latter is of course only useful to me (or other OS X dinosaurs).

Many thanks,

This is not a GMT.jl question

Just peruse the compatibility table under install.

The MacPorts installation described on the GMT GitHub page might help with getting GMT installed on an older macOS, if you want a newer version than the pre-built installer for your macOS 10.13 can install.

My apologies. I completely missed that compatibility table despite looking for exactly that info.
Many thanks for your very helpful reply.