GMT Project projecting all data points to cross-section

I have plotted a map with data points. Purpose is to extract data points using a cross-section from map. For this I used GMT Project to project all data points within specified width to cross-section line on map. The code and map are;

gmt begin 
Proj="-JM14c"
Limit="-R95/107/-5/5"
gmt figure Map png
gmt basemap $Proj $Limit -Bxa1 -Bya1 -BWESN
awk '{print ($1,$2)}' data_points | gmt psxy $Proj $Limit -Sc0.24 -Gblue
# draw line on map with values
echo 101 -4 >    Input_line
echo 101  4 >>  Input_line
gmt psxy Input_line $Proj $Limit -W2,brown
# project events to cross-section line
gmt project data_points -C101/-4 -E101/4 -W-110/110  > Projected_events
gmt end

Map:

data_points: data_points.dat (337 Bytes)

I want to project only those data points which lie within width(-110/110 km) on either side of cross-section line but “GMT project” projected all data points to cross-section. I have follwoing queries;

1. Why “GMT project” projected all data points to cross-section line while width (-110/110) is already specified? If “Lw” is used in “GMT project”, it again project nearly all data points. How to project only specified width data points to cross-section?

2. I want to draw a boundary/box around cross-section line which shows the projected points area on map as shown in below figure.
    Selection_006

How user can draw such a box around cross-section line on map such as in this case to draw box with width (-100/100km) around cross-section? So it clearly shows the area of cross-section extraction for data points.

Kindly assist me in these issue. Thanks

Hard to know without seeing the input file and the result. However, I suspect that you should use -Q.

Hi,

I used -Q and it has done the job to restrict projecting those events which are defined by width.

For understanding, -Q used to specify units (Q detail in GMT project ; Specify x, y, r, s are in degrees while p, q, dist, lmin, lmax, wmin, wmax are in km. If -Q is not set, then all these are assumed to be in the same units).

Do you know the logic behind this how (Q) is restricting to project events to cross-section based on defined width while it is used to specify output data units?

Sorry @Meyal. I didn’t see the attach file.

The logic is that -Q says that, in your case, the values for -C and -E correspond to geographic coordinates (longitude and latitude).

I have applied with -Q and it done the task. I think it solved the issue. Files are attached;

Input_data:
data_points.dat (337 Bytes)
Project data without using Q;
Command: gmt project data_points.dat -C101/-4 -E101/4 -W-100/100 -Lw > Projected_data_withoutQ.dat
Projected_data_withoutQ.dat (1.3 KB)
Project data using Q;
Command: gmt project data_points.dat -C101/-4 -E101/4 -W-100/100 -Lw -Q
Projected_data_withQ.dat (292 Bytes)

By seeing output files (with & without Q), you can see in file (without Q) it projected nearly all data but (withQ) it projected only those data (5 points) which lie within (W-100/100) on either side of of cross-section of below map.

Hi @Meyal,

Were you able to reproduce that red box indicating the area comprising the selected data points?

@Esteban82

Moving to next part, I want to plot my projected data w.r.t cross-section on map like shown in following figure 1;
Selection_008

To get plot like above figure 1 for my data, I used the follwoing way;

gmt begin
Proj="-JM12c"
Limit="-R95/107/-5/5" 
gmt figure Map png
gmt basemap $Proj $Limit -Bxa1 -Bya1 -BWESN -Y12
awk '{print ($1,$2)}' data_points | gmt psxy $Proj $Limit -Sc0.24 -Gblue
# plot line 
echo 101 -4 >  7.3.Input_line
echo 101  4 >> 7.3.Input_line
gmt psxy 7.3.Input_line $Proj $Limit -W2,brown
# project data within (W-600/600) of cross-section
gmt project data_points -C101/-4 -E101/4 -W-600/600 -Lw -Q	> Projected_data
# plot p vs z (distance vs depth)
gmt basemap -JX12/-8 -R-1000/1000/0/100 -Bxafg+l"Distance (km)" -Byafg+l"Depth (km)" -Y-10
awk '{print ($4,$3)}' Projected_data   |   gmt psxy -JX -Sc0.16 -W0.5 -Gred
gmt end

Input_data:
data_points.dat (337 Bytes)
Projected_data:
Projected_data.dat (1.3 KB)
Output map;

I think there is some problem in Output map, problem is;

1. Most of such maps are plotted with x-axis scale (vary from -10/10 or -50/50 or some value like this). But in my case data (p vs z) is plotted only when I set scale (-1000/1000) see “Cross-section” plot in attached figure. Also all data is plotted on (0 to 1000) side of scale and no data on (0 to -1000) side on map.

I have not see any map which uses such big scale value (-1000/1000) in literature. Kindly have a look is there any problem in my way which I used for projecting data & map plotting?
and please suggest
How I can plot a cross-section like as I attached in above reference figure 1? Thanks.

@Meyal I shared this figure and script that could help you.

Figure

Script:

BTW, another way to do this is just using -i. Notice that GMT starts counting in 0.

gmt psxy -JX -Sc0.16 -W0.5 -Gred -i3,2

Notice that p (the 4rd column on Projected_data_withQ.dat) is the distance along the profile. It is 0 at the long and lat of -C. I.e. In your case, increased from South (at 4°S) to North (4°N).

If you want to plot distances to the profile, you should use the value q (the 5th column on your projected data).

A map like available in your shared github source can be plotted and attached below;

Thanks for sharing information about using -i option, it make work easy.

I understand your tip, if user want to plot distances along profile ( p ) value to be used while for distances to profile (q) do the job.

@Esteban82

About this topic, 2 unsolved queries are still remaining, which are;

1. How user can draw a box around cross-section profile which will show area of selection for data on map like shown in below figure;

Selection_006

1. How to plot cross-section map for projected data of this topic (figure 1) like scale (x-axis) as shown in reference figure 2.

figure 1;

reference figure 2;
Selection_008

If you know about these or someone have the knowledge can share the way to solve these queries. Will be thankful for help.

@gilbertolneto

Hi, not find a solution yet to plot bounding box/boundary around the cross-section profile.

I also would like to know how to do it. But I don’t know a direct way to do it.
I check gmt plot -L but I don’t realized how to do it (if possible).

After search, I have plotted a map for my data like cross-section shown in reference figure (focus on x axis scale). I used s vs z (column 7 vs column 3) in Projected_data.dat and output map are;

Projected_data.dat (1.3 KB)

I think using s values vs z for plotting a map with scale (x-axis of reference figure) is correct.

Have a look on Projected data and plotted map to see, whether using s values in such case is correct? Thanks.

I think that there is no direct way to do it. Maybe we should make a feature request. I will ping @pwessel.

Since in general this band would be oblique I think the only good solution is to add a new option to project that saves the polygon that reflects your search area. Feature requests are done on the GitHub issue page.

2 Likes

What could be an alternative way to achieve this? I have been experimenting with different approaches, and here’s what I have tried so far:

• First, I calculate the azimuth of the two perpendicular segments based on the azimuth of the cross section just by adding 90°;
  • Next, I use project to obtain the coordinates of the two perpendicular segments.
    However, when I plot the rectangular polygon on a map using a Mercator projection, the resulting rectangle does not appear correct. What am I doing wrong?
    I have attached a figure that shows the resulting rectangle (dashed rectangle) obtained using this approach and the ideal rectangle that I would like to achieve.poly_tr_ale