Grdmath question - filling an (n x m) grid with a column vector or a row vector

Strange problem that likely has an easy solution, but it eludes me.

I need to create a full (n x m) grid based on an (n x 1) column vector. In other words, the column vector is repeated for each m column.

Simple example, given a column vector:
| 1 |
| 2 |
| 3 |,
create a matrix of repeated columns:
| 1 1 1 1 |
| 2 2 2 2 |
| 3 3 3 3 |

I also need to create a full (n x m) grid based on a (1 x m) row vector. In other words, the row is repeated for each n row.

Example, given a row:
| 1 2 3 |,
create a matrix of repeated rows:
| 1 2 3 |
| 1 2 3 |
| 1 2 3 |
| 1 2 3 |

Is it possible to fool grdmath to do either of these in one command, given -R & -I parameters that correspond to the (m x n) grid?

In my case, I’m not working with sequential integers, but with mixed values read-in as a column or as a row.

One possible solution is to read-in the column (or row), then repeat it (n or m number of times, depending on case) into a temporary file (via cat >>), then use xyz2grd with the appropriate -Z specification to form the grid. Maybe that’s the easiest way - since the final grids aren’t that huge.

Replicating a column is simple. Here t.txt is your 1, 2, 3 column vector file:

gmt math -N4 t.txt 0 COL ADD =
    1 1 1 1
    2 2 2 2
    3 3 3 3

To make a matrix I think you are better off just awking out as many as you need

awk ‘{for (i = 1; i <= 50; i++) print $0}’ row.txt

Appreciate your reply, Paul. So, gmt math can take any nx1 column vector, and form an nxm matrix, very quickly. That is useful!

And the awk command can easily repeat a row. Good stuff. Now I’m unable to locate the script where I was needing to do this! Too long ago! Ha!