Slab cross section projection

Hello all

Thank you for hosting this place, it’s been very helpful to adapt and achieve things. I’ve come to a stagnant point, though. It has to do with cross-sections and projections. I need to do at least 2 of them, one of which is topography/bathymetry, which thankfully I could incorporate into my cross section.

What I haven’t been able to achieve is putting the projection of the slab1.0 model (ideally, I would include that model and some others too). I do have a previous plot made with GMT, but I was sure that it could be achievable.

When trying to do the track on the slab, it adds no new data to the dataframe, and actually it results as a dataframe with no data, other than the new column “slab1”.

#extract the depth of the slab1.0 into the track and add it
track_df2=pygmt.grdtrack(
    grid="Slab1.0/sam_slab1.0_clip.grd",
    points=track_df,
    newcolname="slab1",
)

it gives this error message:
grdtrack [WARNING]: Some input points were outside the grid domain(s).

I’m attaching both the jupyter notebook on which I have everything (in .txt format due to limitations on sharing here, maybe I could upload it so someone else can download it from a cloud service such as google drive). And also an image of the result of the GMT code on the slab.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I have another minor question about the colors of the stars on the cross-section. Now they are all red, but when I tried to give a different color to each one of them, an error message saying that I couldn’t have a list of colors if my data was a file or variable I think.
PPS: Sorry if this post is clumsy, I think it’s my first question here :sweat_smile:

pygmt_2013_planta_y_sección_V2.0.txt (6.7 KB)

both of your plots obviously show exactly the same thing (except the DEM resolution)

Why did everything (incl track extraction) work for the second plot but not for the first?

I was able to fix it. It wasn’t a very elegant solution, but it worked.

I found it strange that I could plot the contour lines of the slab1.0 grid, but couldn’t compute the cross-section. I checked, and the longitude values were in positive degrees, while the map is in the western hemisphere (-77°,-71°).

So what I did was modify the slab1.0 grid to change the labels of longitude to a negative value. And that worked!

can you give a code please ?